“Fail to plan, plan to fail” — Harvey MacKay
The plan for this long weekend:
Friday – Work my ass off at work then go to the Borough to spend time with family, go grocery shopping with Mum and learn how to make Pancit Bihon.
Satrday – Go for an early AM run. Spend the day cleaning up the apartment, and cleaning out my closet then get ready to go to Dinner with some awesome people… and then party hearty with even more awesome people.
Sunday – Go for a later AM run OR if that fails do one of my broadway dancing/singing workouts in the house. Prepare the Pancit Bihon for a BBQ that starts in the late afternoon with some more great people.
Monday – ME DAY. ME DAY. Aka Laundry and complete house cleaning day.
Will this all actually happen? Who knows. But at least I have every intention of following through…
What are you doing this weekend?
Its a bit of a cliché to be blogging about dieting in January, sure, but I need to do this. For those of you who don’t know, I am of Asian descent – I’m half Filipino & half Chinese. What this means is that I eat a lot of rice. And before I turned 25, it didn’t matter how much rice I ate – I didn’t gain much weight. Sure, I’d gain a few pounds here or there, but nothing compared to the 10lbs I gained after I hit the quarter-life mark.
I’m not getting married anytime soon, and if I do get married I don’t want to be overweight in my wedding photos so as much as possible I’d like to stay as svelte as possible. With my hatred for exercise it grew increasingly difficult to keep my weight down. One day, he introduced me to the ‘diet’, after he had already lost almost 30lbs on it.
I was reluctant to start the diet because I know how easily a diet can fail, but its proving to be quite an easy diet to follow because it still allows me to indulge myself in sweets if I so choose. In fact, I still eat popeye’s chicken for dinner with my parents. The difference is that instead of eating fries, I’ll eat a freshly cut salad without dressing instead. Because I haven’t followed the diet as religiously as he has, I haven’t lost as much weight. I lost a modest 8lbs in 1 and half weeks before I went on holidays. I gained a pound while I was on holidays but I’ve already lost it and another half a pound on top of that.
So what’s the deal? What is this magic formula that has resulted in all this weight loss? Its not rocket science, I’ll tell you that now. I also need to tell you that this was not my creation, its a diet given to a friend of his by a chef. If you want to know who is responsible for this diet, you can email me at reggysy [at] yahoo [dot] ca and I’ll tell you.
- 8:00 a.m. – 1 bowl of hot quick oats. No sugar/sweetner of any kind.
- 10:00 a.m. – 1 whole fresh fruit.
- 12:00 p.m. – 4-6oz protein with field greens and side veggies.
- 2:00 p.m. – 1 whole vegetable.
- 6:00 p.m. – 4-6 oz protein with side salad and grilled greens. Remember, no cream based sauces.
- 10:00 p.m. – 1 bowl of mixed berries. This is an important step in the diet as it will help you detox.
Some helpful tips:
- Water: If you’re hungry throughout the day, drink loads of water. You’re supposed to have eight 8oz glasses a day. Or drink low-fat milk.
- Dressings & sauces: The diet says to avoid all cream based sauces but I try and avoid dressings and sauces in general. If I really need to, I’ll use fresh lime & fresh cracked pepper.
- Sides: I don’t like the idea of having double veg sides in my meals so if I’m having salad I usually won’t have steamed veggies as well.
- Oatmeal: I actually mix one tablespoon of flavoured quick oats with two table spoons of regular quick oats and its still fine. I find without this, the oatmeal is too salty to taste because our milk isn’t creamy enough.
- Timing: The times listed above are a guideline, you can create your own timeline that fits your schedule. For example, my dad looks more like this: 8:30am, 11:00am, 1:30pm, 4:30pm, 7:30pm and 10:00pm. The only reason I follow the 10pm guideline is so I can be in bed by 11pm.
Some answers to questions you may have:
- Are you hungry? Not more than I was before I started the diet.
- Do you snack? I snack constantly, but instead of snacking on chips I’ll snack on popcorn or vegetable sticks or if I really feel like chips, I’ll snack on wheat crackers.
- Do you eat chocolate? I have, but as I’ve mentioned I don’t have that much weight to lose to get to my ‘ideal’ weight so I wouldn’t suggest doing this until you’ve reached a good milestone. Also, I am able to limit myself to one or two and don’t need to eat a box or a bar of chocolates in one sitting so this probably helps me in not gaining weight through ‘sweets’.
- You haven’t talked about green tea?! I almost forgot; because the diet is pretty much trying to get you to cut out all the fat & bad carbohydrates out of your diet I decided to cut out coffee and invested in a good tea pot and some amazing green tea leaves. I’m awake and I don’t feel nauseated after my morning beverage anymore. Plus, green tea has been known to help you lose weight. I think its because it helps improve your digestion, but he disagrees. All I know is, it makes me feel so good.
Now, I’m not saying you should all go on this diet. I’m just sharing some information that I hope will be useful to you. The most important thing is to know your body, and to know what works and what doesn’t. If you don’t know that, no diet can ever help you lose weight.
Would you try this diet or have you tried it already? What do you think?
Penny at Marmalade Skies tagged me with this meme, and even though I’m sure I’ve done it – I figured I’m weird enough that I can tell you 7 weird things about me.
First, the rules:
1. Link to the person who tagged you
2. Share Seven Random and/or Weird Facts about yourself
3. Tag 7 random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs
4. Let each person know that they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog
Then, the dirt:
- I eat oatmeal with fresh fruit for breakfast almost everyday; when I don’t I eat whole grain cheerios with bananas. Then, I have a snack at 11am: Yogurt and a Kashi granola bar.
- All that fibre in the morning means I don’t need to eat lunch unti 2:30 p.m. most days. And it prepares me well for our 8 p.m. family dinners.
- In weather that requires a jacket, when going between the out and indoors I have to remove my jacket once I get indoors and bundle down. If I don’t do this, once I go back outside I will be freezing even though I was perfectly warm in my attire before-hand. This is really inconvenient when travelling via public transit and carrying groceries and such like I did when I was living in Dublin.
- I used to hate red wine but now it is my drink of choice, my favourite varietal is a Syrah but I’ll take a Pinot Noir as well.
- I used to think that marriage wasn’t for me, and I still have trouble thinking about having kids but the idea of having a family has become more of a desirable idea that it once was.
- My mind works in very mysterious ways… the more I think about how to do something, the worse I am at it. But if I let go and just follow my instincts, I am usually brilliant. This applies to things like dancing, singing, writing, event planning, school work, cooking, mixology… anything.
- When I eat, I like to have a bit of everything I’m eating in each bite. And it always amazes him that when I’m done, I’m always left with exactly enough of each item for one bite. Having said that, I don’t necessarily like it when my food mixes together unless its food that is meant to be mixed together.
And there you have it ladies and gents… further insight into the weirdo that I am. I’m not quite sure who to tag because there are many people who won’t play but I know the ones I would definitely want to know more about are:
Haley, Ate Maeyo, Ken, Margaret, Ben, Linc, and Atrais.
I also want to ask you, do you think these things I’ve described is weird? Or are they fairly normal?
Found this great recipe for Beer cupcakes while stumbling around the other day. I can’t wait to make this for him! He already loves my baking, but I’m definitely going to make up the recent fuckup boo-boo when he tastes these bad boys!
Speaking of cupcakes, it was my Daddy’s birthday yesterday and today as soon as I get off work I’m going to take a nice long nap because we’re going to Yuk Yuk’s Comedy Club downtown for dinner and a show. Incidentally, The Great Canadian Laugh Off is closing up that weekend. It’s just too bad the finals are on Sunday. Oh well. It’ll still be great fun.
As for Sunday, I’ve been told to expect to be at work straight through my ‘split’ shift so I’ll be at work all day. Which means no blogging and no dropping for me. Boo-urns! I’m sure you’ll survive, but I don’t know if I will!
In the meantime, if you’re looking for more, why don’t you check out:
- Beeker’s Words where xBeekerx asks a very intriguing question that I’m sure even the boys can offer their thoughts on!
- Monique who’s just come back from holidays, and is counting down to her 100th post; in order to celebrate she’s offering you the chance to ask her any question you want!
- xCanuckleheadx for some good ol’ Canadian style fun (& recently learning)!
- xPeriapexx who’s also away but has decided that I deserve some attention from the RCMP, so I’m trying to throw it right back at him 😛
- xJillianx who has a wicked (in both the ‘she’s awesome’ and also ‘she’s like Dennis the menace’ kind of ways) Mother.
- Pit who always has a great video or joke up and running.
- And then there’s always those on my blogroll…. also known as my elsewhere page (yes, I realise this title is lame and will be changing it once I finish my spring cleaning on the blogroll).
Whew – sorry if I’ve missed anyone but I really gotta hit the sack!
Catch you all on Monday!